Friday, September 19, 2008

First and foremost, I'd like to say that I am a badass cook. I didn't know it. You didn't know it. But now we all do. I made this for my dinner last night. Cold pasta salad with grape tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumber, sprouts and italian dressing. And The fish is hot off the stove talapia with italian dressing, lemon, butter, and olive oil. It was probably one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Yes, when I return home, you can pay me to cook for you.
I know this picture is wicked shitty, but I had to post it. I was on the S-Bahn today and the guy across from me was drinking this..it is Jack Daniel's and Coke...ALREADY TOGETHER IN A CAN! I thought that my friends back at Colby would greatly appreciate this. Sorry the quality is so bad..I was trying not to make it obvious that I was taking a picture of this man's drink.
Today my Identity class went on a field trip with our professor, Sabine, to Potsdam. Potsdam is located right at the outskirts of Berlin, and it is pretty historic. There is a German section, a Swiss section, and a Russian section, as well as a small Bohemian section. We drove around on bikes to check everything out, which at first seemed awesome. However, as we continued our tour down beautifully cobblestoned roads, my butt begged to differ. It now feels as though my ass was continually beat with rocks all day, it is so sore. But that is beside the point. Potsdam was really beautiful, and I took a bunch of pictures so that I can share. Sweetness.

This is a Jewish Cemetery in Potsdam. It was closed for many years because there were no Jews at all in the area (post WWII). However, it has more recently been reopened, and it is being used again as a cemetery.
This is a picture of a kind of palace-like structure. It wasn't really a palace, as much as it was a pretty place to go. The architecture here is wonderful, and a lot of it has been restored, but there are still some places in it that are original, which didn't have to be restored. We could climb to the top of the tower you see pictured here for an amazing view--we could even see the TV Tower in Berlin!
Here is just a small portion of the spiral staircase that we took to go up to the top of the tower. You can see some of the original decor on the walls. Pretty sweet.
View from the top of the tower, looking down toward the front of the palace property.
You can see the sign pointing toward Berlin! We're almost heading home! You can see here the architecture before you get to the bridge. I think that this used to be a checkpoint of some sort...but don't quote me on it.
Here is a monument in the heart of Potsdam, located in front of the huge main church.
Another very pretty monument centrally located in Potsdam by the church.
This is just a sample of the Swiss section of Potsdam.
This is a Russian-style home, which has been turned into a restaurant with Russian cuisine. It's pretty adorable, and reminds me of gingerbread houses and christmas. This makes me very excited to visit Russia next month. It should be very interesting and different.

3 comments:

choneycutt04 said...

1. I can't wait to eat your amazing cooked meals when you get back!
2. These pictures are awesome and it looks like you had fun despite your sore bum.
3. i miss you!

<3

Joan said...

These pictures are totally awesome! It is so interesting all that you are experiencing! And you are cooking!!! Even better! Woo hoo!!!
Your blog is terrific!
Love ya,
Matante Joan :)

Ann said...

Hey nice dinner plate - deja vu!! Glad you are enjoying creating your dinners - it will last a lifetime. Love the photos you are taking, beautiful place, you are so very fortunate to have this opportunity - take in as much as you can!! Remember - look for bargains - Love, Mom