Sunday, September 14, 2008

Was geht's?!

It's Sunday night which means that I have class in the morning (blah. even in germany classes are still making me want to stay in bed-haha). Although, I am a little excited, because tomorrow is the first day of actually classes and not just intensive german instruction. I have class until 6pm tomorrow...well Mon-Thurs. I don't have any classes on Friday. Those are our days off, as well as days for class field trips. sweet. I pretty much slept all day today..I got out of bed around 5pm...I didn't go to bed last night until 5am, so that's legitimate I suppose. Last night I went to the Bassy Club (Cowboy Club!) where my host, Birgit, was DJ-ing (how cool is that?!) I was even on the guest list-so I didn't have to pay the 10 EU cover. AWESOME. I have never been on a guest list before. I is special. haha. It was really cool to see her DJ. The club was really cool. It was full of Rockabilly people, and Birgit played 50's and 60's dance music (no..NOT disco) think Johnny Cash, etc. It was interesting, and I really enjoyed it. Her and Raoul didn't come back here until about 8am...crazy. Germans take their nights out very seriously. It was a great experience, and I got to talk to Birgit's friends, who are all very nice.

Yesterday 10 of us in the IES program went to Hamburg. It wasn't as exciting or as fun as Berlin, but it was still a nice trip. Hamburg has a lot more money than Berlin, and so there are a lot of people there who are very wealthy and showy. The rich people kind of look down on you unless you are wearing versace or some shit like that. I think thats pretty lame. In Berlin, you can rarely tell who has money, because everyone has their own style. Yay Berlin! Berlin is also a lot more cultural and busy. I did take some pictures of Hamburg, so please enjoy!


On the train to Hamburg from Berlin! This is Ella, our student services coordinator. She is a woman who lives in Berlin, and she is so funny. She's wearing my headphones and listening to some german music from my ipod. It was a very fun train ride.
The port in Hamburg. Apparently, it is pretty popular to have a sailboat, and we saw TONS of them in the water. A little out of control.

Some grafitti we saw in Hamburg near the water on a pole for advertisements. This means "The Bible is a Fairytale Book" in English. I thought that this was pretty awesome.

There was a chinese celebration in the middle of Hamburg while we were visiting. Lots of food, drinks, and chinese arts. This statue was lit up with multi-colored lights at night.

An example of Hamburg architure. This was part of the Hamburg 'town hall' for lack of a better expression. It is very detailed...perhaps Baroque era?

We walked past this man during our tour of Hamburg. He was making this sidewalk mural out of pastels. It is amazing, and we were all very impressed. There were german words lining the mural, and a few other small murals that were to the left and right of this large one.
Das ist alles fur jetzt! More to come...Hopefully I will get some pictures of my train station (which looks pretty sketch, but I like it!). Miss you all.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Thanks for the photos and comments about Hamburg - sorry it was spoiled by the snobs - guess they are everywhere and not just in the U.S. YIPEE Anyway looks like you are having lots of fun, I am enjoying the photos very much, makes me feel as though I was there. Love, Mom