Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hallo!
Ich bin im Deutschland jetzt!
Sorry I have not posted, but my wireless isn't set up in my flat yet. I will give the rundown of what Germany has been like this far...
Day 1: arrive in Frankfurt Flughafen. See a bunch of German people, my flight was late, so I had to get a new flight into Berlin. That was pretty easy to do so no worries. The exit signs here are all green instead of red, which is interesting and the custodians and workers all wear colored overalls. It is certainly different. Even the view from the airplane is different from the US...I even saw a castle! I was pretty excited but the woman sitting next to me on the plane was not at all impressed..oh well. I took a cab and the driver didn't speak english, so we spoke german and he was so nice to me. I met my host/flatmate, her name is Birgit Faßbender, and she's AMAZING! She works in the German parliament, but she is also a DJ in clubs on weekends and for weddings on occassion. Next Saturday I am going to the club to see her DJ and I'm so excited for it. She collects vinyl records from the 50s and 60s and she has some great stuff.

Day 2: I woke up to find that the two cats, Tigger and Louie, brought me a dead mouse. I guess they like me! Birgit showed me how to get to the center on the SBahn (the schnell Bahn) kind of like a fast train above ground. It was very easy....but when I tried to find my way back home in the dark I got lost for TWO HOURS and ended up on the complete opposite side of Berlin by some airport. I finally found my way home in the rain, but I couldn't figure out the lock system here for my apartment. Birgit was out with her boyfriend Raoul to see Batman:Dark Knight (which just came out here recently in theatres) so I was on my own. I made a lot of noise trying to figure out the lock, but after about 5 minutes I was able to get into my flat. I was frustrated by the lock and the fact that I was soaked (it was pouring rain during my walk) so I took a shower. While I was in the shower there was a lot of knocking on the door. I answered it in my towel saw two POLICE OFFICERS! Apparently, our neighbor had called the police because either she thought someone was breaking in, or because it was after 10pm (after 10pm in germany it is unlawful to make noise and disturb other people). I was surprised and frazzled so I had trouble understanding, but everything ended up fine! What a crazy two days...more to come.

miss you guys! write me on facebook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG - I cannot believe your were "loud" that's so unlike you - LOL!!!!! Glad everything worked out well for you. Much Love, Mom